03 Jun Assignment: Accessing Information About Evidence-Based Practices The first steps toward narrowing the gap
Assignment: Accessing Information About Evidence-Based Practices
The first steps toward narrowing the gap between research and practice are recognizing that one exists and educating oneself and others. Social workers must realize the benefits and eliminate the misconceptions surrounding evidence-based practice. In the Bradley episode featured in the resources, the social worker combines her assessment of Tiffani Bradley’s individual situation with her knowledge of research to evaluate her supervisor’s recommended intervention. Now that the social worker has recognized a gap, she/he/they need to access potentially relevant information for a specific case and critically analyze for its applicability to that case. This week’s Assignment allows you to practice these critical next steps in the Bradley family case.
To prepare for this Assignment, review Episode 4 of the Bradley family case study. Develop a list with 2–3 researchable questions that you could use to find evidence about the efficacy of 12-step programs or other treatments for substance abuse in adolescents. Then, using the resources provided, search for two evidence-based interventions that would be appropriate for Tiffani Bradley. Be sure to consider quality of research, readiness for dissemination, replications, and costs.
Submit a 600 – Word paper that includes the following:
- Summaries of the two interventions and their respective research regarding effectiveness
- Recommendations for Tiffani’s social worker that address the following:
- Factors to consider when choosing between the two interventions
- The social work skills that the staff would require to implement the intervention
- The training required to implement each intervention
- An evaluation of evidenced-based practice based on your reaction to the experience, in which you address the following questions:
- Would you, as a beginning researcher, have enough knowledge to benefit from researching evidence-based practices? Why or why not?
- How might the research that you conducted increase your confidence in the intervention with Tiffani?
- Is the information provided enough to make a decision regarding interventions? Why or why not?
- Appropriate APA citations in your writing
Must contain 3 references and citations form the following materials only.
Document: Cooney, S. M., Huser, C. M., Small, S., & O’Connor, C. (2007). Evidence-based programs: An overview. What Works, Wisconsin —Research to Practice Series, (6), 1–8. Retrieved from http://whatworks.uwex.edu/attachment/whatworks_06.pdf (PDF)
Document: O’Connor, C., Small, S. A., & Cooney, S. M. (2007). Program fidelity and adaptation: Meeting local needs without compromising program effectiveness. What Works, Wisconsin —Research to Practice Series, (4), 1–6. Retrieved from http://whatworks.uwex.edu/attachment/whatworks_04.pdf (PDF)
Document: Small, S. A., Cooney, S. M., Eastman G. & O’Connor, C. (2007). Guidelines for selecting an evidence-based program: Balancing community needs, program quality, and organizational resources. What Works, Wisconsin —Research to Practice Series, (3), 1–6. Retrieved from whatworks.uwex.edu/attachment/whatworks_03.pdf (PDF)
Document: Small, S. A., Reynolds, A. J., O’Connor, C., & Cooney, S. M. (2005). What works, Wisconsin: What science tells us about cost-effective programs for juvenile delinquency prevention. Retrieved from http://whatworks.uwex.edu/attachment/whatworkswisconsin.pdf (PDF)
Whittaker, J. (2009). Evidence-based intervention and services for high-risk youth: A North American perspective on the challenges of integration for policy, practice, and research. Child & Family Social Work, 14(2), 166–177.
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.